Vector is monitoring advice that severe weather may hit parts of Auckland over the weekend, with the potential for strong winds and rain to cause power cuts.
As a precaution, additional response crews and storm management teams have been rostered on and are ready to respond quickly if required.
Vector’s Head of Network Field Services, Marko Simunac, says, “We know it’s the start of the school holidays with lots of families at home and reliant on power for warmth and entertainment. If the weather causes damage to power lines, we’ll aim to restore power as quickly as possible while ensuring the safety of our crews and the public. This means that we may need to remotely shut down power to an affected area as a public safety precaution until crews arrive on site.
“Although our crews are trained to work in all weather conditions and at any hour, there may be circumstances during which it is unsafe for them to begin or continue working to fix outages, for example during high winds. We also wish to remind the public to stay well away from any damaged electrical equipment and report it to our outage centre on vector.co.nz/outages.
“We are encouraging Aucklanders to do their best to prepare by following the checklist below and ensuring their devices and power banks are fully charged today.”
If customers experience power cuts, they should use our Outage Centre to monitor restoration progress: vector.co.nz/outages.
STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO BE PREPARED
- Always stay away from fallen power lines or damaged electrical equipment.
- Watch out for falling tree branches as these can cause damage to power lines.
- Avoid possible damage to electrical appliances (in the unlikely event there is a power surge when the power is restored) by switching off appliances at the wall.
- Keep a torch and spare batteries handy and ensure that you have at least one telephone that does not rely on electricity for operation.
- Ensure that an alternate fuel is always available for cooking (e.g. gas for BBQ).
- If you have an electric garage door, prepare how you can gain entry to the garage another way so you have access to your vehicle.
- If you have an EV, make sure it is charged.
- Tie down objects on your property that may be impacted by strong winds (e.g.: trampolines, BBQs and BBQ covers).
- If you are on tank water please ensure you have plenty of bottled water available.
- If life or property is at risk, call 111.
- We ask the public to not approach our teams, for their safety and that of our crews.
Vector is New Zealand’s leading multi-network infrastructure company which delivers energy and communication services to more than one million homes and businesses across the country. Vector is leading the country in creating a new energy future for customers and continues to grow and invest in the growth of Auckland and in a wide range of activities and locations. Vector is listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange with ticker symbol VCT. Our majority shareholder, with voting rights of 75.1%, is Entrust. For further information, visit www.vector.co.nz
For further information contact:
0508 V MEDIA
(0508 863 342)